While professional facials are one of the best ways to take care of your skin, they can be expensive. Although I still highly recommend getting a professional facial as often as you can, there are ways to do it at home to help maintain beautiful skin.
Follow these steps for a do-it-yourself facial:
- Cleanse your skin and remove dirt, oil, and makeup.
- Exfoliate with a gentle scrub, avoiding the eyes, to remove dead skin cells.
- Steam skin to help with extracting impurities. There are several ways to accomplish this:
- Lay a wash cloth soaked in hot water on your face 2-3 times.
- Boil water, then turn off and hold head above it with towel draped over your head for 5 minutes.
- Use a clothing steamer. Stay at least a foot away from steamer with towel draped over your head and be careful not to burn yourself.
Homemade exfoliant recipe:
Mix 2 tablespoons sugar with 3 tablespoons warm water until dissolved, apply to face and massage while avoiding the eyes.
Homemade mask recipe:
Mix 2 egg whites with 2 tablespoons plain yogurt, apply to face and let stand for 10-15 minutes.